Say the title 15 times real fast. HA. Well maybe just remember the title and make it your mantra! I think we all feel some sort of guilt for taking time for ourselves and we shouldn’t feel ANY guilt.
Self-Care isn’t just for moms and dads. It’s a must for everyone. To keep your sanity, you need to practice self-care often. And Mid-lifers need it probably more than anyone. Feel free to list your self-care tips in the comments.
First, self-care according to Dictionary. com is:
the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health.
“autonomy in self-care and insulin administration”
the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.
“expressing oneself is an essential form of self-care”
Or to be more precise: Self-Care is doing things that help you to rejuvenate, inspire, relax, feel better in mind, body and soul. (from Midlife Margaritas)
Just yesterday, I spent half the day with one of my BFF’s, Susan. We spent the morning in our PJ’s, drinking coffee, looking for sales online, talking, laughing, venting, bitching, but mostly laughing. It was good for my soul. I felt so much better than I had the previous weeks. We all need time alone, with friends and family to relax and let go of the stresses of the day.
Other things I try to do for Self-Care:
- Take a day or two without makeup on. But only if I don’t plan to see anyone. lol Makes my skin feel so much better by just doing my cleansing routine.
- Pedi’s with the girls and dinner out. Nothing beats having your legs and feet massaged and a cute color on the toes! Wine with friends and lots of laughs.
- Weekend getaways with the girls or just the hubby. Even a nice hotel in town with a pool is considered a getaway! Or maybe visit a nearby town with great restaurants, etc.
- Netflix Binging. Do I need to say more?
- Getting organized. I know this one seems weird but it helps my mind think I have my life together. lol I feel relaxed after cleaning and organizing a room or two.
- Back rubs/Massages.
- My oldest son taught me about cupping. What is Cupping? From Web MD: “Cupping therapy is an ancient form of alternative medicine in which a therapist puts special cups on your skin for a few minutes to create suction. People get it for many purposes, including to help with pain, inflammation, blood flow, relaxation and well-being, and as a type of deep-tissue massage.” I love it! Except it leaves circle hickeys for a few days.
- Naps. But not for too long or you’ll just feel more tired.
- Stop doing so much! Learn to say NOPE. We all know how much stress you can put yourself under by committing to things you shouldn’t.
- Yoga. It doesn’t matter how thin, fat, tall, short you are, everyone can do Yoga. It really helps with a lot of things including mentally, physically and healthwise.
- Practice Self-Care daily. THIS is the most important. Keep a journal of what you do daily for self-care. I bet within the first 30 days you will start to see and feel the changes!
That’s it for self-care from me. What do you do for self-care?
Peace, Love and Margaritas!