My kids claim they hate me on social media. But yet I get the occasional “did you like my Instagram pic yet?” or “did you see my snap story?” So they are sending me mixed messages. But that doesn’t matter because like it or not, I AM on social media and I plan to stay. I mean I was on Facebook before they were old enough to ride a bike. But I have learned from these boys that there are some unwritten rules for moms to follow on social media:
- Never be the first one to ‘like’ a post or picture your child puts on social media. Apparently it’s so embarrassing.
- Hashtag Etiquette: Don’t make up a hashtag to try and be funny or witty. Use only normal hashtags relevant to your tweet or picture or post. Example Don’t use hashtags like #hessocuteicouldeathimwithaspoon or #bestmomeverandilovemykidssomuch
- Don’t use more than a few hashtags, more than 3 is weird.
- Don’t tag your kids on Facebook. They aren’t there anymore.
- Never save a picture from a snap story. There will be hell to pay if you do. They will revolt and stop making their beds and cleaning up for themselves every day. Oh wait, they don’t do that now!
- They get mad if you accept their friend’s requests on social media. Truth is their friends just want to see the embarrassing family pictures you post. That brings me to number 7.
- Don’t post embarrassing family pictures. This can ruin their reputations. (as if they even have one yet.)
- It’s not the twitter; it’s just ‘twitter’. No one tweets at you, so never say that.
- When posting selfies of your children’s friends moms, don’t put #momsquad and tag the kids in it. Worst. Mistake. Ever.
- The rules change daily according to the kids. You have to keep up and always remember what you do on social media reflects on your kids!
I hope I was able to help. If you have more mom rules, let me know!
#lifewithboys #boymom #parenting #momsofsocialmedia