You are just getting through mourning the child that was once running around in diapers just a few years ago. Now he’s graduated from high school and headed to college in the fall. Wipe your tears mom and stop stressing over what you need to buy for that dorm room!
First, please remember that most dorm rooms are smaller than your laundry room. And the kids won’t spend much time in the room except for sleeping and maybe a little studying. The rooms are ugly and lifeless and the beds are even worse. Make sure to measure the bed for sheets because no college wants you to not buy weird sized sheets for their extra long twin beds.
Also keep in mind that when you drop off your precious sweet baby boy at college, that room you work so hard at for hours (with the AC hardly pumping cool air) to make it look nice will never look nice again once you drive away in tears. So take a picture. 🙂
So what do you need for your boys college dorm? Here are the basics:
- Weird sized sheets, comforter, pillow
- Desk lamp
- Extra phone chargers (because they won’t have the convenience of stealing yours anymore)
- Laptop and Printer (wireless printer is best)
- TV, game console and Netflix membership
- Snacks and Drinks for the room
- Microwave and Fridge if not already provided
- Clothes and Shoes enough to get through first semester
- Deodorant. Lots of it. Boys need at least 25 of them all over their room
- Beer koozies for their canned sodas. 🙂
- Towels, washcloths and other toiletries
- Any prescription meds
That’s it in a nutshell. Yea you can go fancy with posters and matching comforters etc. but you’re then stepping into the girl territory. May I also suggest a trip to Wal-Mart, Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond for ideas on anything else your kid may want.
Lastly, go ahead and set the room up and take a family picture before you leave. In your mind your kids room will look like that picture all year and you and your kid will both be happy. 🙂
Now find a great little patio restaurant and order some margaritas and celebrate the day!