Welcome to part III of our Living Your Best Life series. If you missed the other posts, you can go here for part II and there is a link to part I in part II. Link: https://midlifemargaritas.com/2022/04/04/your-best-life-should-be-passionate-and-authentic-heres-12-ways-to-discover-your-passion-and-purpose-today/
So, let’s get started on Shifting Your Mindset! What is mindset? Well, the Oxford Dictionary says: “An attitude is a settled way of thinking or feeling about someone or something, typically one that is reflected in a person’s behavior.” Sounds kinda vague huh? I see it as HOW you see things and situations; it influences how we behave or act and can be helpful or hurtful depending on the situation. Word Salad much?
There are two kinds of mindset. Actually, there are more but we are dealing with the main two. Fixed and Growth mindset. Growth is just like it says. We believe we have the ability to grow and learn and have our mindset change. Fixed is the belief that your mindset is the truest form and keeps you from maturing and growing your beliefs. I think we would all love to be of the Growth Mindset club. Right?
So how do we go from doubting ourselves, not accepting constructive criticism to believing in ourselves, questioning what we have always accepted as truth and becoming a better person with more of a positive mindset? Read on…
Take the time to journal your thoughts on these questions.
- What caused you to have a negative mindset about yourself?
- What things in life would you like to do but you don’t feel will ever happen? (like becoming a runner, starting your own business, overcoming things that you don’t think are in your control).
- What (in your mind) is stopping your from living your best life?
Give those questions some serious thought and reflect on them. Later on, this journal will be so beneficial for you to look back on to see how far you’ve come!
Things To Work on To Shift Your Mindset
- Start using more positive language and self-talk. Tell yourself every day that you are worth it, and you deserve it.
- If you can visualize it, you can live it. If you don’t think you can, you won’t!
- Remember, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. It’s greener where you water it!
- When you feel stressed, anxious and not in control, tell yourself that you are in control, and you can decide to walk away from things or use a mindset of “how can I change this situation and make it better”?
- Remember life is a journey not just the destination.
- Don’t compare yourself and situation to others. In other words, Worry about Yo Self!
- It’s a work in progress but once you start positive self-talk and attitudes, you are going to see a big change. Remember JOURNAL EVERYTHING!
I think you get the idea. I think you are ready to shift that mindset too! Get to work and let’s continue to practice Growth Mindset! This video from Tony Robbins says it all! Don’t worry, it’s less than 4 minutes. 🙂